Finnish Paper Stars, also known as “Himmeli,” are delicate and captivating ornaments that have woven themselves into the fabric of Finnish holiday traditions.
In this blog, we’ll take a journey through the historical roots of these ethereal creations and guide you through the steps to craft your own mesmerizing Finnish Paper Stars.
The tradition of making Himmeli dates back to 19th-century Finland, where these geometric ornaments adorned homes during the festive season. Originally crafted from straw, Himmeli were believed to bring good fortune and a bountiful harvest. As time progressed, the tradition evolved, and the materials shifted to include paper.
Himmeli also served a symbolic purpose, representing the connection between earth and heaven. Hung above dining tables or in living spaces, these intricate structures were thought to bring blessings and positive energy to the household. Over the years, Himmeli-making became a cherished craft, passed down through generations as a way to celebrate the holidays and showcase artistic skills.
How to Make Finnish Paper Stars:
- Paper strips (traditionally white or natural tones)
- String or thin ribbon
- Prepare Paper Strips:
- Cut your paper into thin strips, around 1/2 inch wide and 8-12 inches long. The number of strips depends on the size and complexity of your desired star.
- Create the Basic Shape:
- Take paper strips and lay them parallel to one another, begin weaving in strips adjacent to the parallel strips . Continue this weaving shape until you have an even number of desired strips.
- Build the 3D Structure:
- Start securing the ends with tape. By crossing over each strip of paper to connect
- Add Hanging String:
- Attach a piece of string or thin ribbon to one of the star’s points, creating a loop for hanging.
- Finishing Touches:
- Trim any excess paper from the ends of the strips for a polished look.
Crafting Finnish Paper Stars, or Himmeli, is an enchanting way to add a touch of History to your holiday celebrations. These delicate ornaments, with their mesmerizing geometric designs, have become a cherished tradition that provides lovely decor to the home.