Matcha tea has been used for centuries in traditional Japanese tea ceremonies and was consumed by Buddhist monks to help them stay focused during meditation.
It wasn’t until the 12th century that matcha became a popular drink among the Japanese aristocracy and was enjoyed for its health benefits and pleasant flavor.
Matcha lattes are a delicious and healthy option. They combine matcha tea with a milk or a milk alternative. Here’s an easy recipe for making a matcha latte at home:
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1-2 tsp honey or sweetener of your choice
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice (almond, soy, coconut, etc.)
- Add the matcha powder and sweetener to a mug.
- Heat water to about 175°F and add it to the mug.
- Whisk the matcha and water until it’s smooth and frothy.
- In a separate saucepan, heat up your milk of choice.
- Once the milk is hot, pour it into the matcha mixture.
- Use a spoon to hold back the foam and pour the liquid into a separate mug.
- Add foam on top and enjoy your delicious matcha latte!
You can also add vanilla extract, cinnamon, or other spices to enhance the flavor of your matcha latte.